Type: Mixed Use
Size: 58 units
Status: Planning Approved
Client: MMSO LLP
Collaborators: Headland Archaeology, Eight Associates, Terra Firma, GL Hearn and Caneparo Associates
The scheme proposes the redevelopment a former Wetherspoon's public house on a large brownfield site where much of the site was derelict and underused. The original custom designed department store built in 1934 will be demolished and a new part 7, part 4 storey residential led mixed used building will be formed.
Our proposal is arranged in a ‘L’ shaped form, creating a spacious landscaped parking courtyard to the rear with trees, shrubs and owners encouraged to offer a good outlook to the south facing balconies.
The materials palette aims to complement the local area which is largely characterised by brick. The massing is articulated with a low brick plinth of two/three storeys to match the surrounding buildings, with a set back, paler tiled cladding. A red brick tower is featured at the corner of the building, emphasising the local typology.
The new development will create 2 commercial units fronting Fore Street at ground floor level and 58 residential units on the upper floors.
There was a high demand from the local residential for a microbrewery to be put back into the commercial unit to replace the loss of the pub.